At The London General Practice we believe in proactive, preventative healthcare informed by regular screening and tests.
Our Well-Woman Programme is a bespoke health screen designed specifically for the concerns of our female patients.
We offer a wide range of screening tests, some of which are not routinely available or easy to access on the NHS, including screening for ovarian cancer (CA125) and BRCA 1/2 genetic screening. We can also provide mammogram examinations within our own suite of treatment rooms, with the option of an ultrasound for younger women.
What is included in a Well-Woman Screen?
You will receive a pre-screen form to be completed and returned prior to your appointment. This will assist the Doctor evaluate your past and current health.
- 90 minutes in clinic for your full physical examination, blood and urine tests
– 30 minutes with practice nurse & 60 minutes with your screening doctor
- A follow up telephone call to discuss your comprehensive report with your doctor
Medical and Family History
Your Doctor will talk you through your medical history and that of your family to identify potential risks and problems.
You may also discuss contraceptive, pregnancy and menopause advice.
You will have time to raise and discuss any health concerns you may have.
- Breast examination
- Cervical smear pap test (if clinically recommended)
- Contraceptive, pregnancy and menopause advice
- Ca-125 – Ovarian cancer tumour marker (if clinically recommended)
- Cardiovascular Screening
- Height and weight – to calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Blood pressure
- Urinalysis – to check the urine for ten different parameters
- ECG – Heart tracing
- Spirometer – Vitalograph spirometer to test your lung function
- Vision Test – includes colour blindness screening
Vitalograph test to measure the function and efficiency of the lungs
An electrocardiogram (ECG) is a non-invasive test that provides information about your cardiac health
- Red Cell, White Cell Count & Platelets
- Liver function
- Kidney function, Uric acid, Electrolytes
- Full Lipid panel (Total cholesterol, HDL/LDL/Triglycerides)
- ESR – Marker of inflammation
- Ferritin (marker of iron levels)
- Fasting glucose and HbA1c to identify diabetes mellitus
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B9 (folic acid)
- Thyroid function profile (TSH & T4)
- AFP (Alpha Fetoprotein) screening for primary cancer of the liver (if clinically recommended)
- Urine analysis: glucose, bilirubin, ketones, specific gravity, blood, pH (acid and alkali), proteins, urobilinogen, nitrites & leucocytes
- Laboratory urine test for infection (MC+S) if required
Included in your Well-Woman Screening
- Bowel screen (Stool FIT) if required
- NAFLD fibrosis score (fatty liver and fibrosis)
- PLCO Score – Lung cancer risk
- FRAX Score – Osteoporosis risk
- GAD-7 – Anxiety score
Once all of the test results are available, you will receive a comprehensive report giving you a clear understanding of your current health, as well as advice and guidance on how to maintain your health and wellbeing.
A 15 minute telephone consultation will be booked with your Doctor to discuss your report in detail.
All the above are included in a Well-Woman Screening.
Additional Tests and Scans
- Stress ECG – Echocardiogram
- Carotid doppler Ultrasound
- CT Coronary Artery Calcium Score (CT Scan)
- CT Carotid Angiogram
- CT Coronary Angiogram
- Fibro Scan Liver
- Abdominal Ultrasound Scan
- CT Colonography
- CT Chest – Lungs
- Baseline Bone Density Scan (DEXA)
- Transvaginal Ultrasound
- Mammogram/ Ultrasound
- Brain MRI
- Pelvic MRI
- Prostate MRI
- Allergy Screening
- Genetic Testing
- Mole Mapping
At the London General Practice we offer comprehensive health screen packages that cover a wide range of screens including well-woman and well-man assessments. Our genetic testing panels can also help you understand if you have an increased genetic risk of developing any one of vast number of hereditary conditions.